Senior Mechanical Product Engineer
Salary: £32-45k basic (dependent on experience)
Our client is an exciting Southampton based start-up invested by a global water technology platform is looking for a Senior Mechanical Product Engineer to join their team in Southampton. The company is developing advanced chemical sensor products for monitoring in environmental and healthcare applications.
They are looking for energetic experienced professionals to join the company. They provide you with the best opportunity to expand your skills and make a success of your career by offering a professional, challenging and exciting environment.
The Senior Mechanical Product Engineer will be a key figure in the development of continuous sensing solutions based on the company’s patented nanodroplet platform technology. This microfluidics approach enables autonomous sensing with small deployable devices. Applications to date range from environmental monitoring of nutrients and pollutants in water to healthcare sensors for monitoring of biomarkers in biological fluids.
The Senior Mechanical Product Engineer is expected to develop mechanical components and systems for the company’s and customers’ products. You will have overall responsibility for the design and development of new products from initial concept through to production.
Day-to-day responsibilities will primarily be:
- Requirement specifications capture for new products
- Development of mechanical concepts using sketches, prototyping, 3D-CAD and simulation tools
- Prototyping of concepts using (micro-)machining, rapid prototyping and off-the-shelf components
- Fabrication of test, calibration and fabrication rigs to ensure developed products meet requirement specifications
- Collaboration with internal electronics, software and chemistry teams as well as external consultants, customers and partners
- Supply chain and manufacturing strategy development together with senior management
- Preparation of 2D/3D production data packs
- Ensuring product compliance with CE marking and other standards & regulations
- Design of ancillary product materials including packaging, labelling, technical manuals, assembly documentation
This is an excellent career opportunity to join an emerging company that is destined to become a leader in compact sensing solutions with commercial applications covering multiple industries. The company has ambitious growth plans and is looking for game changers to join the team and grow with the company. Attractive career development opportunities are expected to emerge as the business grows.
This is a technically challenging position requiring a can-do attitude. The Senior Mechanical Product Engineer will be creative and adept at developing practical and manufacturable solutions for complex technical challenges and will be responsible for championing best practice throughout the entire product development process.
- Degree educated in mechanical engineering, design or related subjects
- Previous industrial experience in developing products to market
- Familiarity working under quality management systems (e.g. ISO 9000, ISO13485)
- Strong CAD background, e.g. Solidworks, AutoCAD etc.
- Passion to invent, design and fabricate products
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work without daily close supervision
- Flexible approach and ability to quickly learn and apply new skills & processes
- Strong interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to champion best practice in all product development aspects
- Experience working in dynamic and flexible start-up / small company environments
- Experience working with microfluidics / ‘lab-on-a-chip’ devices
- Experience in the areas of water sensors or medical devices
- Experience working with local and/or international manufacturers
- £32,000 to £45,000 basic salary
- Share option scheme
- Company pension and health insurance scheme
- 23 days leave plus bank holidays
- 37 ½ hour week - flexible working patterns will be considered
Our client is not set up with the government in order to offer sponsorship and therefore only UK residents or those with eligible visa status can be considered