Head of Data Engineering
Salary: £70-100k DOE
Our client is a registered B-Corp Scale-up with mission to put graduates from less privileged backgrounds on a high performance trajectory to become future technology leaders.
The business if founded on two beliefs:-
1. Exceptional talent is missed everyday: Talent is equally distributed, opportunity is not.
2. Exceptional training changes outcomes: The most effective learning practices are rarely used because the institutions that invest in the training (e.g. schools and universities) are not incentivised based upon quality of the learning.
Overview of the Role
We're looking for someone to help lead the development and delivery of our client's new Data Track to graduates from less privileged backgrounds. If you have 5+ years of professional experience as a Data Scientist or Data Engineer (particularly using Python, Machine Learning or Cloud), have excellent communication skills and experience or interest in teaching, we'd love to hear from you.
The Head of Data Engineering will be helping to build an innovative Coding Academy which:
- pushes the frontiers of teaching Data Engineering through learning excellence and constant iteration;
- uses the most engaging and effective learning methodologies: from individual & group self-directed investigative learning to war gaming, real world problems, pupil/coach reversal, etc.
- outputs excellent junior data professionals after 12 weeks (with continued development part time for 2 years).
Role and Responsibilities
This is a role that would suit someone bringing experience from industry or academia and wanting to have an outsized impact on our students' outcomes.
You’d be working closely with the Head of Education to develop a Data Curriculum and then take it into production by leading the teaching of it.
- Creating a world class Data Curriculum that emphasises the company's values and approach
- Coaching students (individually & in groups) on all aspects of their journey to become a Data Professional;
- Regularly checking in with students, answering questions & helping them overcome problems;
- Participating in code reviews, pair programming interviews and other activities;
- Running workshops and live coding demonstrations;
- In time, manage other coaches and ensure the growth and quality of the data track;
Obsessing over the learning & experience: effective, long lasting, inspiring, realistic and practical. Ultimately, they will have a graduate for 12 weeks full time, and then 2 years intermittently. In these 2 years, they want to give them the tools to come out on top whatever happens after this.
Managing and scaling Data Stream: working to train a team of high performing Data Coaches
The Mission: delivering social mobility through world class education & execution
Experience with & knowledge of:-
- Coding: Any widely used language for Data Science (Python, Scala, Java, etc). Relational databases (SQLite, PostgreSQL etc)
- Maths and Stats: Distributions, probability, hypothesis testing,
- Data Best Practice: Understanding how to source, clean, visualise and productionize a data set or pipeline. Basic data model, quality and profiling
- Basic knowledge of algorithms and relevant computation requirements
- e.g. some knowledge of OLS/GLM/regression analysis, k means. Time series analysis etc
- Cloud: Experience with a Cloud Platform (e.g. AWS, GCP, Azure) and the tools surrounding it
- e.g. HDFS, Apache Spark, Apache YARN, Airflow, Docker, Kubernetes etc
- Basic experience with Machine Learning libraries and frameworks
- e.g. Pandas, Scikit-learn, Numpy
- Minimum five years professional experience as a Data Scientist or Data Engineer
- Some experience (even if informal) of teaching, training or coaching others.
- Good communication skills and confidence when presenting.
- A patient, empathetic & curious attitude
Nice to have:-
- Experience managing a high performance team (we expect for this stream to scale quickly)
- Advanced experience with Machine Learning and AI in production
- such as Tensorflow, Pytorch
- Experience teaching programming to adults;
- Interest in education best practice (mastery learning, spaced repetition, flipped classrooms, etc
What is on offer to you:-
- A competitive salary
- £1000 annual learning and development budget
- A flexible £50/month budget for health and wellness to go on anything from Oddbox fruit deliveries, to gyms or mental health
- Regular in-person and virtual social events
Values and Behaviours of the Company:-
- Selflessness: it’s all about the team. It means being part of something bigger. If you fall, you'll be picked up. If you’re leading, it is to help inspire and carry others;
- Thoughtful trust: it is critical that we are able to disagree with & challenge one another, so it is also important that we are kind and know what it means to build long term trusting relationships;
- Performance in the moment: what we did last year, the universities we went to, the grades we got…aren’t that important. High performing teams care about what we’re doing right now, today. We believe the mission is worthwhile, so it matters that we win…because it is through winning that we have an impact;
- Constant improvement: we’re rigorous about defined goals, measurement & adjustment – without them, improvement is impossible. We take notes, read & practise: we’re geeks through discipline or love of the grind;
- High cadence curiosity: these can conflict, but it’s a healthy balance that drives our hard work, deep interest in people and slight obsession with the right answers and correct decisions. We have a huge challenge - it matters that we progress every day in the right direction
N.B. Our client is not set up with the government in order to offer sponsorship and therefore only UK residents or those with eligible visa status can be considered