Senior Embedded Software Engineer
Location: Salisbury / Hybrid
Salary: Circa £55k (DOE)
Do you want to be involved in changing the future of sustainable farming in the UK?
Our client is delivering cutting edge technical and engineering solutions. A highly passionate and collaborative company, we are now looking for a Senior Embedded Software Engineer to join the team.
A successful candidate will be working with our client's Robotics engineering team, consisting of 6 Robotics and Robotic Software Engineers. As our client transitions to providing our first product, an autonomous field survey robot and service, we need people experienced in delivering and maintaining products. We are looking for a senior embedded software engineer with experience in delivering to market a product with embedded software. A large part of the role will be introducing the tools needed to provide a reliable and scalable product as well as mentoring the existing team.
This role would be perfect for someone who has delivered software for robotic or IoT products that are already out there in the world.
While a software role, an applicant will be required to come to the office to fulfil some of the below responsibilities. Applicants can expect to be required on premises ~50% with some projects requiring more or less. Our client is based in Porton and easily commutable from Southampton, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and the Thames Valley tech corridor.
- Administration of embedded computers, normally Linux based single board computers.
- Productionisation of bespoke robotic control software.
- Design of processes for commissioning/deployment of embedded systems.
- Design of processes for maintenance/updating of remote embedded systems.
- Design and maintenance of remote communications with robots.
- Design of on-robot networking systems.
- Documentation for technical files and conformity assessments.
- Embedded hardware selection.
- Software reviews, Training and Mentoring other team members.
- As a small team there will be many opportunities to muck in with the rest of the team depending on interests and skills.
This is a list of possible skills you may have, only those in bold are essential and the best candidates will have a selection of, and willingness to learn the rest. Whether you have a few years of experience, or you are an industry veteran we would love to hear from you. We regret that this time, this role is not suitable for a recent graduate.
- A relevant engineering/computer science/STEM degree, or equivalent experience in industry.
- A demonstrable ability having delivered robust and reliable embedded software products.
- Experience working with Linux computers, preferably Ubuntu for Nvidia Jetson.
- Experience using techniques to deliver highly reliable robust software products, FMEA, FTA, security, testing methods.
- Experience working with complex systems architectures, V model.
- Experience taking an embedded software product through Conformity assessment, UKCA/CE mark, Software documentation, technical file.
- Strong software development experience; C, C++, Python.
- Experience networking multiple linux computers in an offline product.
- Experience with remote connectivity, LTE, Satellite, Sigfox, LoRa
- An understanding of autonomous mobile robot technology; perception, cognition, behaviour, navigation, localisation, control.
- An understanding of common robotic frameworks; ROS/ROS2, RTOS
- Semantic data modelling. Decision trees, state machines, co-routines or embedded device controller applications.
- Experience of hardware interfaces; sensors/actuators, synchronous/asynchronous. Standard serial or network communication protocols, e.g CAN.
- Experience of data acquisitions systems, communications, practical experience of device interference and stability/reliability in noisy or remote environments.
- Strong self organisation skills, you are proactive, and able to work towards coarsely defined goals.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- A willingness to be flexible and to adapt to the fast pace of a startup.
- An understanding of Agile working.
- Bonus points for having participated in a robotic project or competition as a team member. If you have built your own robot, we would like to know about it.
What is on Offer to You:
- A future-oriented job in a quickly growing start-up
- Mud and fresh air – you will never suffer from pollution
- As an early employee, you will be deeply involved in the success of the Company
- An opportunity to influence the development of one of the most exciting companies in the UK
- Eco-bragging rights and photo opportunities in major press publications!
Other Bits and Pieces:
- This role is a permanent role starting as soon as possible and includes a 6-month probationary period.
- Salary dependant on skills and experience for a normal 40 hours / week