Product Manager - Robotics
Location: Salisbury / Hybrid (Requirement to be on-site at least once a week, plus exceptions)
Do you want to be involved in changing the future of sustainable farming in the UK?
Imagine a future where robots tend to crops 24/7, ensuring that they get the perfect amount of water and sunlight while weeding out any pests. This future is not as far-fetched as it may seem. In recent years, there has been a surge in the development of agricultural robotics. While the use of robots in farming is still in its infancy, it is rapidly evolving and is poised to revolutionize the way we grow food.
Our client is leading the charge in agricultural robotics. This startup has developed robots that can autonomously identify and target weeds, removing them with pinpoint accuracy. The robot then uses data collected about the type and location of weeds to create a map that can be used to guide future weed removal efforts. This technology has the potential to drastically reduce the amount of herbicides and labor required for farming, making organic food more accessible and sustainable.
A highly passionate and collaborative company, we are now looking for a Product Manager to join the team.
- lead a cross-functional team delivering features and capabilities across the product development cycle for the company's multi-purpose and autonomous robotic platform including facilitating the integration of new sensors and action capabilities.
- drive these features and capabilities through their product lifecycle: ideation, specification, development, production, release, analysis and iteration, including creating justifications for major new capabilities and presenting these to the senior management team.
- be critical in maintaining the development team's focus on delivering value, balancing multiple streams of requirements so that they can concentrate on what they do best: creating a great product that delivers value to both the company and their customers.
The role is based at the client's bespoke new facility just outside of Salisbury and easily commutable from Southampton, Basingstoke, Winchester, Andover and the Thames Valley tech corridor.
Responsibilities (although not limited to):
- Provide leadership and direction to your squad, ensuring product and engineering processes are being followed and that your team is focussed on the most important things while also ensuring timely and quality delivery of new features and capabilities.
- Demonstrate a good level of technical understanding within your product and understand how your product interacts with all areas of the business and customers.
- Management of features and capabilities with a high level of autonomy that leads to the delivery of value, with their measures of success defined, monitored and communicated.
- Define and maintain the Robotics roadmap and strategy for all features and capabilities within your remit.
- Undertake all Product Owner responsibilities including owning and prioritising the backlog, ensuring that both the needs of today and the needs of tomorrow are met.
- Writing and reviewing user stories and outline acceptance criteria, ensuring that both are descriptive, accurate and easy to comprehend.
- Facilitate development by working with the design/UX and service teams as well as other product squads to ensure your team has everything they need to keep moving forwards.
- Ensuring that the business has the right number of robots at the right time with the correct configuration.
- Leverage data, insights and research findings, including leading customer interviews, to discover, justify and prioritise opportunities, define requirements and drive user satisfaction and business outcomes.
- Ensure that each update meets the acceptance criteria and quality requirements.
- Help to create, embed and continuously improve product processes within the business, championing these throughout the business.
- At least 4 years of relevant experience of which at least 2 years is in a technical leadership position (e.g. tech lead, line manager, systems engineer, etc.).
- A BSc in a hardware engineering or related discipline such as mechanical, mechatronics, electronics, systems, etc or equivalent experience.
- A product mindset and awareness of product management principles.
- An awareness of Agile methodologies and willingness to champion the implementation of these for all design and development activities within your squad (noting manufacturing will more likely follow waterfall methodologies).
- Experience of manufacturing complex physical products.
- Familiarity with robotics and autonomy technologies and techniques.
- Has experience of and thrives in start-up / scale-up environments.
- Comfortable dealing with ambiguous prioritisation due to changing business needs.
- Strong organisational skills and demonstrable stakeholder management experience with excellent communication skills.
- Willingness to be on site at Porton Down or nearby at least once per week plus exceptions (e.g. customer meetings, workshops, etc.).
- Experience as a product manager and/or a product owner.
- Experience of developing and delivering robotics products.
- Experience of developing and delivering B2B products.
- Proven experience of leading a squad using Agile methodologies.
- Experience of working with products with longer development cycles.
- Knowledge of agricultural products and/or farming techniques.
What we offer:
- A future-oriented job in a quickly growing start-up
- Mud and fresh air – you will never suffer from pollution here
- As an early employee, you will be deeply involved in the success of the Company
- An opportunity to influence the development of one of the most exciting companies in the UK
- Eco-bragging rights and photo opportunities in major press publications
- Benefits package