Senior Database Engineer
US remote but ideally East Coast timezone
Base to $200k
Our consulting client was co-founded by Google Cloud Engineering leaders and is backed by a leading US investment firm. With a focus on GCP strategy and implementation, they work with brand name FTS 100 clients. We now need to hire 2 x Senior Database engineer to join their growing team
In the role of Senior Database Engineer, your responsibilities will be pivotal in overseeing and enhancing the data infrastructure. Your primary objective will involve guaranteeing the effectiveness, dependability and expandability of database systems, specifically within GCP cloud ecosystems. This is a hands on position and demands proficiency in database technologies, cloud platforms as well as strong communication and documentation skills to effectively convey your contributions.
- Benchmarking and Test Development - develop and execute benchmark tests so assess and enhance database performance
- Integration of Google Cloud Spanner - integrate and maintain Google Cloud Spanner as a vital component of the data infrastructure
- Data migration tools - explore and construct processes, software and data migration tools, including Liquibase and Harbor Bridge
- Test Plan Creation - formulate comprehensive test plans for database migrations and deployments
- Deployment management - actively participate in the deployment and administration of database systems
- PostGres optimisation in Cloud SQL - enhance the performance of PostGres databases within Google Cloud SQL
- Spanner performance improvements - propose and implement performance enhancements in Google Cloud Spanner
- Effective communication and rollback planning - clearly articulate your thought process, the value of your recommendations and plan for rollback contingencies
- Run book development - develop and design run books for database migration and ongoing deployment procedures
What are we looking for?
- Expertise in GCP cloud platform is essential for this role. You will be responsible for optimising database performance within a GCP environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
- Experience with database migrations is a plus, including knowledge of tools like Liquibase and Harbor Bridge.
- Familiarity with Google Cloud Spanner is valuable
- Knowledge of Terraform can be advantageous for infrastructure provisioning and management.
- Proficiency in Python and/or Typescript is desirable, although we are comfortable with candidates who can work with other programming languages.
- Experience with data warehousing is highly applicable to this role and is considered a strong advantage.